Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tantre farm






Located about 20 miles west of Ann Arbor, Tantre Farm has been operating for the past 15 years. They grow about 50 verities of vegetables and have a manageable amount of animals, including LaMancha goats, chickens and Guernsey cows. The farm sells their produce at a variety of locations, such as the Ann Arbor Farmers Market and The People's Food Co-Op to name a few.

My friend David, who works at the farm told me about a open house to harvest crops. He said that the garlic needed to be pulled. At the farm, I found the garlic patch and the garlic pulling team. It was lead by a woman named Rosie. She instructed me to pull the plant out of the ground, tear of a few layers of skin, to clean the bulb, and then to twist off the roots. I did this for the next three hours straight. I became decently fast by the end of the day. Three were about 8 of us total working on the garlic and we cleared one whole patch and the others were still working on the other bigger patch when I left.


I really enjoyed getting out of the city and feeling dirt between my fingers. I choose not to wear gloves to increase this experience. I will be heading back to help out some more throughout the summer. I am looking forward to me return.

No comments: